last month i was invited to do my first ever #instatakeover – where you take responsibility for someone else’s social media accounts. it was a huge responsibility + also a huge honour to be asked!
my #instatakeover was for melbourne-designed mobile app skipapp – an online instant ordering program for drinks + food. there are hundreds of cafes in melbourne that have signed up for skipapp where you can place your order ahead of time + it will be waiting for you when you arrive. no cash needed and best of all – no waiting in queues.
i was so excited to discover a few great new cafes that i know i’ll definitely be going back to… and found the app so convenient that i’ve continued using it on a daily basis since too!
- blossom espresso, southbank: my weekday “local” serving consistent + delicious veneziano coffee. jay, the manager, is a legend!
- stand-up cafe: my new find of the week! this little ‘hole in the wall’ in katherine place is one of the best takeaway coffees i’ve had in melbourne
the cafes that participate in skipapp predominantly lean towards the cafe and takeaway coffee side – but many are starting to offer breakfast + snacks and there are even a few food outlets for takeaway options such as soups + burgers.
- cafenatics, 367 collins st: enter through the back on flinders lane this spot is ideal for anyone working around the mid-collins st legal/banking office blocks. the takeaway muesli cup was yum!
i focused my attention mostly on the cbd area during the week, not only because this is an ideal solution for busy corporates who need to grab a coffee on the way to work or during a break inbetween meetings but only have limited time, but also because i’m one of those said busy corporates in the cbd!
- cherry + twigs: this newbie is conveniently close to southern cross station + has a funky vibe and delicious breakfast menu
- where’s marcel: in the qv/melbourne-central/lonsdale st area, this place is my go to for the addictive #kwakscrolls (which you can order ahead on skipapp) + serve their own delicious roast of coffee
don’t worry docklanders, i didn’t forget you either. for those near the vibrant anz, nab, myer and aurecon epic-centre there are skipapp options for you too!
- saman estate coffee: organically grown fair trade coffee from indonesia, you feel like you have walked straight into a coffee roasting house in this small cafe in docklands. the coffee is unique + a point of difference to the south-american and african blends… and they sell cronuts! sold!
richmond + fitzroy
i did also managed to sneak out to richmond + fitzroy where there are some fantastic cafes offering their menus through skipapp.
- doug’s porridge: great coffee… but the standout was the porridge with rhubarb + pistachio. delicious
- pillar of salt: when you can’t get a table for this iconic richmond cafe, instant takeaway is the next best option
- broadsheet restaurant: this pop-up restaurant is only open until the 3rd aug but the small batch coffee is divine
needless to say, i certainly kept my caffeine-addiction satisfied that week! the app is super-easy to use, and so convenient that i’m still using it on a daily basis one month later. skipapp is also expanding to nsw soon – so stay tuned if you’re a sydney-sider!
verdict: skip the queues + get yourself caffeinated!